WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2014
Safe Winter Driving
Winter driving can be hazardous and scary, especially in northern regions that get
a lot of snow and ice. Additional preparations can help make a trip safer, or help
motorists deal with an emergency. This sheet provides safety information to your
residents to help prevent motor vehicle injuries due to winter storms.
The three P’s of Safe Winter Driving:
PREPARE for the trip
PREVENT crashes on the road
-Maintain Your Car: Check battery, tire tread, and windshield wipers, keep your
windows clear, put no-freeze fluid in the washer reservoir, and check your antifreeze.
-Have On Hand: flashlight, jumper cables, abrasive material (sand, kitty litter, even
floor mats), shovel, snow brush and ice scraper, warning devices (like flares) and
blankets. For long trips, add food and water, medication and cell phone.
-Stopped or Stalled? Stay in your car, don’t overexert, put bright markers on antenna
or windows and shine dome light, and, if you run your car, clear exhaust pipe and
run it just enough to stay warm.
-Plan Your route: Allow plenty of time (check the weather and leave early if
necessary), be familiar with the maps/ directions, and let others know your route
and arrival time.
-Practice Cold Weather Driving!
* During the daylight, rehearse maneuvers slowly on ice or snow in an empty lot.
* Steer into a skid.
* Know what your brakes will do: stomp on anti-lock brakes, pump on non-anti-lock
* Stopping distances are longer on water-covered and icy roads.
* Don’t idle for a long time with the windows up or in an enclosed space.
* Buckle up and use child safety seats properly.
* Never place a rear-facing infant seat in front of an air bag.
* Children 12 and under are much safer in the back seat.
* Drugs and alcohol never mix with driving.
* Slow down and increase distances between cars.
* Keep your eyes open for pedestrians walking in the road.
* Avoid fatigue – Get plenty of rest before the trip, stop at least every three hours,
and rotate drivers if possible.
* If you are planning to drink, designate a sober driver.
Contact us and see how we can save you money today!
Baldwin Insurance Agency
200 N. Jefferson Suite A
Kearney, Mo 64060
Phone (816) 628-0092
Fax (816) 635-9097
Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)
All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only.
It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional
in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between
you and the blog and website publisher.